[Buddha-l] Will this be on the final exam?

James A Stroble stroble at hawaii.edu
Wed Dec 24 23:18:15 MST 2008

Richard Hayes wrote:
> Dear denizens,
>
> About once a year I amuse myself by taking the on-line quiz at
> http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/BeliefOMatic.aspx to see
> how (or if) my religious views are evolving. During the past four months
> I have been involved in a great deal of re-examination of my core
> beliefs and practices, so it seemed a good time to entertain myself by
> taking the notoriously unscientific Belief-0-Matic quiz again, just to
> see if the folks at Beliefnet have refined their quiz in such a way that
> they can put me in the right box.
>
> After answering the 20 questions, I was shown that the Belief-o-matic
> algorithm had determined that I agree 100% with Theravada Buddhism, 97%
> with Unitarianism and 91% with Liberal Quakerism. This means that since
> I last took the quiz, Unitarianism had dropped 3% and Theravada Buddhism
> has risen about 12%. (I'm glad that someone finally perceives me as a
> Buddhist, even if it's only a dimwitted algorithm probably put together
> by a thirteen-year-old Linux nerd.) Strangely, Secular Humanism fell
> from the number two position (97% agreement) to sixth place (83%). I
> suppose this must have something to do with reciting the Obámanos mantra
> so fervently in October.
>
> At the other end of the spectrum, the three religions that speak least
> to my condition are just the same as before: 11% agreement with
> Jehovah's Witness and just 8% with Eastern Orthodox Christianity and
> Roamin' Catholicism. (I am amazed, as always, to find myself agreeing
> that much with any of those three religions; I perceive myself as
> agreeing with them a little less than 0%.) It does not surprise me too
> much that Orthodox Judaism and Islam come in at about the same level,
> but it does surprise me somewhat that the level is as high as 20%; I
> would have guess more like 5% for each of them. Perhaps it is my
> fondness for falafel and pita that raises my score so high.
>
> As always, taking this quiz is required of all buddha-l subscribers, and
> anyone who gets a score less than 90% in Theravada or Mahayana Buddhism
> will be required to stay in after class is dismissed.

Darn! I am only 86% Theravadin!!   But I am 75% Mahayana, and 100%
Unitarian/Universalist (whatever they are). The sad part is that I am
one percentage point more scientologist than Mormon, and equally
Catholic and Muslim, and I was raised %$#%%!!!   I think the whole poll
is rigged, and refuse to be categorized by an on-line poll!!   Can I
stay on Buddha-l?  Please? I won't make any trouble (unless anyone
starts saying there is a Buddhist just war tradition).  Please, sir, more?