[Buddha-l] Will this be on the final exam?

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Dec 24 08:51:00 MST 2008

The test accurately profiled me as a Pagan-Hindu-Mahyana-Buddhist (100%,
77%, 70%). It should have been more like 100%, 80%, 90% - but what do
you expect from teh internets?

Like all tests the Beliefomatic has a very clear cultural bias. In fact,
the very idea that "religions" are correlated with "beliefs" is rooted
in European Christianity (which has always been obsessed with creeds and
"beliefs").

This "test" is primarily aimed at distinguishing between various forms
of Christianity - and everything else is an afterthought. Here is the
breakdown of subcategories by "religion":

Christianity: 11 subcategories
Unitarian, Liberal Quaker, Mainline to Liberal Protestant, Christian
Science, Jehovah's Witness, Mormonism, Orthodox Quaker, Eastern
Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Mainline to Conservative Protestant, Seventh
Day Adventist

Islam: No subcategories

Hinduism: No subcategories

Buddhism: 2 subcategories
Theravada, Mahayana

Judaism: 2 subcategories
Reform, Orthodox

10 more religions with no subcategories:
Paganism, New Age, Sikhism, Jainism, New Thought, Scientology, Baha'i,
Secular Humanism, Taoism, Nontheist

Curt Steinmetz