[Buddha-l] Will this be on the final exam?

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 26 15:33:19 MST 2008

On what distinguishes a Theravada vs. a Mahayana Buddhist position in terms of beliefs (yes, what a theologian's bias!) ....

I think that would be the ones that talk of a supernatural being coming down to be of help to us poor humans. Not sure what else touches on that issue. But I do not see what would lead to my score being noticeably higher for Theravada than for Mahayana Buddhism.

I still don't know what Universalist Unitarian is supposed to be (although I almost went to the Unitarian Church, a lovely classical building, back in Philly when I lived there, but that was in the late 1950s, and my almost going there would hardly guarantee a "100%" so many years later, I think, unless there is a psychic power at work here beyond my ken!!! ;o)

And what of "Opinion X, or not sure, or not important" as a strange motley category?

I just retook the test and stayed 100% Univ. Unitarian, but went from two days ago 94% Theravada to 80% today. My Reform Judaism made it to above 50% this time, among other changes. What gives? I am really belief-unstable!!!! and (ergo?) going to hell in a handbasket, I'm sure ....

Mitchell
Homepage (updated 23 December 08): http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa (with link to memorial dedication to Robert C. Solomon)
See also http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa/mentalhealth.html