[Buddha-l] Gods in Theravada

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Dec 27 18:46:55 MST 2008

I realize that it is far more entertaining to uncritically pass along
lurid media accounts of crazed Kali worshippers that could have been
written centuries ago by agents of the British East India Company
(and/or COE missionaries), but on the off chance that anyone is
genuinely interested in how the vast majority of the tens of millions of
Kali devotees around the world pursue their chosen spiritual path here
are links to the websites for the two most prominent Kali Temples in the US:

Kali Mandir, in Laguna Beach:
http://www.kalimandir.org/Application/Homepage.aspx

Washington Kali Temple, in Burtonsville Maryland:
http://kalitemple-washington.org/

I have worshipped at the Washington Kali Temple myself - the most
sinister thing one will find there is double parking. I have never
visited the other Kali Temple, but I assume that human sacrifice
violates Laguna Beach zoning ordinances for houses or worship.

For those seeking a more academic understanding of the Goddess and Her
devotees, I would highly recommend June McDaniel's "Offering Flowers,
Feeding Skulls":
http://www.us.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/ReligionTheology/Hinduism/?view=usa&ci=0195167910

And if you like poetry then check out Lex Hixon's wonderful translations
of 19th century Bengali mystic Ramprasad's divinely inspired poetry in
honor of The Mother of the Universe:
http://www.amazon.com/Mother-Universe-Visions-Goddess-Enlightenment/dp/083560702X

"Though my mind wanders everywhere
I am not to blame.
Goddess Kali,
You are the brilliant magician,
and I am Your sleight of hand."

Curt Steinmetz

P.S. Not to put too fine a point on it, but devotees of Kali are no more
(and very likely less) prone to murder than are devotees of Jesus. Not
that that is claiming much.