[Buddha-l] Jung and Dignaga

Vicente Gonzalez vicen.bcn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 16:37:11 MST 2008

Dan Lusthaus wrote:

DL> In Jung's _Nietzsche's Zarathustra_ lectures (the full 2 vol ed), on pp.
DL> 986-89, and the surrounding discussion, dealing with the collective
DL> unconscious, he makes it more than the individual (explicitly: he uses the
DL> word "individual" as its antipode repeatedly).
[...]
DL> Gee! How dumb do people have to be to confuse this with some notion of an
DL> oversoul? It's easy to see how this sort of confused conflation can be
DL> appealing to theosophers, new agers and perennial philosophers

in recent days I have read some things of the positions of Freud and
Jung regarding religious experience, and I remembered some comments of
Dan Lusthaus in the thread "Sabba Sutta".

Maybe you will find interesting this excellent paper to have a more
complete view of Jung and his life and thoughts, including the
anti-semitism issue and a complete biographical review of his
relations with the nazi regime:
http://www.diss.fu-berlin.de/diss/servlets/MCRFileNodeServlet/FUDISS_derivate_000000003730/jay_sherry_complete.pdf

Besides the Jung cooperation with the USA army against the nazi
officials, there are cites of a defence of Jung performed by important
Jewish names of his time like Adler. The supposed Jung sympathy for
the nazi regime cited by Dan Lusthaus is not right.

About Freud and Jung, the intellectual honesty and the religious matter,
I have found that Freud was a darker figure than Jung. It is
interesting when one can read frequent Freudian and Jungian positions
in third authors to comment the religious experience. In "La Mystique
Sauvage", Michel Hulin, Paris, 1993, there is correspondence and
biographical facts showing the Freud prejudices in this field.
To complete this nebulous side of the Freud profile, there is a
probable plagiarism of his unconscious theory from the Schopenhauer
works. Freud denied any previous knowledge of this philosopher while
his historical library records shows a different thing:
http://http-server.carleton.ca/~abrook/SCHOPENY.htm

Maybe the irrational rejections of Freud in front the religious
experience are not so inexplicable when we check his efforts to deny
his intellectual father.

best regards,