[Buddha-l] Singing brainscience

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 22:21:24 MST 2008

Erik wrote: "So if she is right nirvaa.na is nothing but a switch off of the
left brain. This has serious consequences Buddhist ontology, which is
mainly idealistic or at best dualistic.
Does she [Jill Bolton Taylor] have a point?"
Hi, Eric
Not having experienced nirvana myself, I will refrain from any conclusive thoughts.  Nevertheless, I can’t help but think of all the folks out there who might have had left-brain damage and yet *did not* have any enlightenment experiences (or at least they don't claim to have had any).
I personally find the position that reduces enlightenment experiences to “nothing but” X or Y switching-on or switching-off of brain areas simplistic--but again, that’s just my take on it.  At the same time, I’m not saying that this is what Jill Bolton Taylor is necessarily claiming, although she does seem to be another right-brain advocate.  There are plenty of anti-intellectual spiritual groups out there--including some Buddhist ones--that advocate the same thing with a different language.  How to achieve wholeness?  It still beats me.
Katherine