[Buddha-l] Question for academic teachers of Buddhism

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue Jul 1 08:10:11 MDT 2008

In a message dated 6/27/2008 1:37:29 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
jkirk at spro.net writes:

>What  puzzled him was th attitude of western dharma students whom
he saw
>as not being fully committed to one thing or the other. He
thought  this
>attitude would inevitably result in a person succeeding neither
>spiritually nor materially. I suspect this way of looking at
things  may
be fairly ingrained in traditional Asian Buddhist cultures  -....
===
I don't see them in opposition. One could use his business as a Buddhist
practice and progress with both. An example might be Dogen's cooking teachings
which, in my opinion, could apply to both monk and laity.

Jack