[Buddha-l] scientific evidence of the power of brain waves/thoughts

S.A. Feite sfeite at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 2 07:11:01 MDT 2008

On Jul 1, 2008, at 7:24 PM, jkirk wrote:

> The new experiment goes a step further. In it, the monkeys'
> brains seem to have adopted the mechanical appendage as their
> own, refining its movement as it interacted with real objects in
> real time. The monkeys had their own arms gently restrained while
> they learned to use the added one.
>
> ===================
>
> Mind boggling..............Joanna

An interesting article in the Boston Globe yesterday points out that
both with Mindfulness meditation and computer video games based on
monkey attentional experiments they now have tools for tackling the
epidemic of attention disorders like ADHD in the schools, maybe
eventually in pre-schools. Ah, children with brains hardwired for
Mindfulness and attentional skills, now that's a future I'd love to see.

Attention class: Paying attention is a more important skill than you
might think - and new evidence suggests it can be taught

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2008/06/29/
attention_class/?page=1

Also, for a fascinating look into Mindfulness check out the book by
Dr. Daniel Siegel, MD "The Mindful Brain". Siegel is an expert in
Reactive Attachment Disorder, a horrible disorder where children lose
the ability to feel empathy for other human beings. Left untreated
these kids have a high predisposition towards becoming sociopaths.
More and more evidence is suggesting that mindfulness based
approaches may help in such typically difficult or sometimes
untreatable attachment disorders.

-Steve