[Buddha-l] Emptiness

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 2 08:28:16 MDT 2008

Curt Steinmetz schreef:
> Jackhat1 at aol.com wrote:
>
>> I will stick by my analysis for now. There are 82 ultimates according  to
>> Thera's Abhidhamma. They are: consciousness, 52 mind constituents (for  example,
>> effort), nirvana and 28 forms of matter. Hardness, smell and color of  wood
>> are forms of matter. According to the Abhidhamma, these ultimates cannot be
>> reduced further. Ultimates do arise and pass away. Yes, the whole point is to
>> reduce clinging.
>>

> I do not think that orthodox Theravadins claim that these things are
> genuinely "ultimates" in the strongest sense (for a Buddhist) of being
> permanent, unchanging, and simple (non-composite). I think the
> Sarvastivadins, or some branch thereof, may have, though.

Hi Curt,

ultimus is the superaltive of ulter and means last, nothing beyond, so
the dhamma's are ultimate in the sense that they the components of
everything, but have no components themselves. They are the ulitmate
components. No permanence or unchangingness is intended. I know that
some dhammas are composed of the four or five elements, but I'm not sure
if onecan call the elements real components, maybe one should call them
qualities. If not then the elements are the true ultimate components

--

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950