[Buddha-l] Question about Chinese orthography

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Jul 3 08:44:11 MDT 2008

Perennial Favorites wrote:

> Oh, okay. So avoid Blofeld.  I just finished reading Chan Buddhism by
> Hershock and would like to find another book that is useful for learning
> about early Buddhist thought. I don't read Chinese or Sanskrit...any advice?
>
> And btw, "does a dog have buddha nature?" was the koan that made me want to
> avoid koans.

Rupert Gethin's "The Foundation of Buddhism" is excellent. I am deeply
indebted to Bodhisattva Peter Harvey for the reading list that he put
together for his Buddhist MA program:
http://seacoast.sunderland.ac.uk/~os0phr/budm01books.html

That simple list is, in my opinion, one of the single most helpful
Buddhist resources on the entire Internet. The book "Buddhist Traditions
in Asia, China and Japan", btw, has a brief digression on the early
Chinese Buddhist philosopher Tao-Sheng - this is an essential part of
the "back story" behind the "Mu" koan.

Curt Steinmetz