[Buddha-l] Question about Chinese orthography

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Jul 3 14:19:03 MDT 2008

Diana et al.,

> Oh, okay. So avoid Blofeld.  I just finished reading Chan Buddhism by
> Hershock and would like to find another book that is useful for
> learning
> about early Buddhist thought. I don't read Chinese or Sanskrit...any
> advice?

I wouldn't necessarily avoid Blofeld. I deeply enjoyed and was
inspired by reading him in my 20s. Just know, as you're reading him--
as you should know when reading anyone--that you're reading an
interpretation of the dharma, not the DHARMA itself. (If you want to
read the DHARMA in capital letters, you'll need to wait for me to
finish my novel.)

Harvey's list, sent by Curt, has excellent stuff on it. I wonder what
Richard and others assign when they teach introduction to Buddhism
courses. And, Jack, does Eckel supply a bibliography? (BTW: very nice
fellow, Eckel, and very bright. He cares more about Buddhism than it
seems he lets on in the course you're following.)

Franz