[Buddha-l] Energy

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Jul 5 06:57:42 MDT 2008

Kate Marshall wrote:
> .....I find the stance of Creation ex nihilo
>
>> as presented in the link contradictory.
>>

> Make that "self-contradictory".

You might be interested in this online article title "Is Creation Ex
Nihilo A Post-Biblical Invention?":
http://www.earlychurch.org.uk/article_exnihilo_copan.html

It starts off with a quote from John Calvin: "Let this, then, be
maintained in the first place, that the world is not eternal, but was
created by God."

The short answer, according to the author, is "No," as he makes clear in
the concluding paragraph:

"So, contrary to May and others, the doctrine of creation out of nothing
was not simply created ex nihilo by post-biblical theologians of the
second century to counteract gnostic ideas. We have good reason to
believe that the doctrine of creation out of nothing is rooted in
biblical passages indicating that God is the ontological Originator of
all that exists."

Curt Steinmetz