[Buddha-l] Energy and "The Word"

Kate Marshall marshallarts at bigpond.com
Sun Jul 6 22:30:45 MDT 2008

Hi Erik,

> I don't know what sacred geometry is,....<

Sacred geometry is a means of answering the question that has plagued
philosophers down through the ages - that question being how does the One,
Unity, God (whatever you want to call it) become Many.  It is also used to
show the macrocosm reflected in the microcosm and vice versa, and in doing
so shows how the Many can have a meaningful relationship with each other and
with the One. Perhaps you are most familiar with it as the geometric
calculations and lines that form the shape of the mandala.

I mentioned Shakti and Shiva before.  Their yantra (mandala), the Sricakra
is made up of a pattern of triangles that emerge from the central trikona
that contains the bindu, the beginning point, the One.  In counting the
number of triangles of the Sricakra, the central triangle isn't counted
because one, as unity, isn't considered a number in the usual sense. So in
counting the triangles of the Sricakra, which to Shakti and Shiva devotees
portrays life, the universe and everything,  the answer is 42 (which rather
tickles me).

>but I do know that quite a lot of
> philosophers would protest, because the Roman word 'ratio' has the
> connotation of commercial calculation, while 'logos' refers to meaning
> and principle. A logos is not just a number (about 1.62). Of course
> dividing a line in such a way can also be called a principle. But in
> that case it's just one amongst many, like the seed principles (logoi
> spermaticoi) of the Stoics.

Phi is a principle in that it is an underlying law or guideline for so many
different arts and sciences - one that it seems even Nature employs.
You are right in that the phi value is roughly 1.62 (1.6180339.....) for the
whole line, assuming that the longer segment (the mean) of the divided line
is 1.

> I wouldn't be surprised if the Indians learned about the golden ratio from
> the Yavana's.

Possibly, coming from the Egyptians via the Greeks, though it isn't known
for sure.

Kate