[Buddha-l] Japanese Buddhism in decline

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Jul 14 12:39:51 MDT 2008

I think it might not be too sweeping of a generalization to say that
this article amounts to (rather unsubtle) anti-Buddhist propaganda. The
author is not a Buddhist and doesn't appear to know much about Buddhism
(Japanese or otherwise) and paints a very negative picture of his
subject - from which I would conclude that the guy doesn't much care for
Buddhism and is trying to make it look bad.

Briefly looking over the 200+ NYT pieces written by Norimitsu Onishi
since 2004 it looks like this is the first time he has turned his
attention to Buddhism (well, he did write an article about a Thai
Buddhist Temple in Queens in 1996). Perhaps we should hope it will be
the last time as well.

Curt Steinmetz