[Buddha-l] sagaramudra samadhi

M.B. Schiekel mb.schiekel at arcor.de
Sun Jul 20 01:50:50 MDT 2008

Dan Lusthaus schrieb:

> sāgara-mudrā-samādhi is an attested Skt term (even appears in
> Monier-Williams Skt-Eng Dictionary). It's used in the Prajnaparamita Sutras
> and elsewhere.

Dear Dan,

thank you for your helpful answer.

Now I'm looking for the origins of this sāgara-mudrā-samādhi in Sanskrit
sources. I found this samādhi in Monier-Williams (as you said) and in
Soothill, but a scan in the Sanskritcanon of
http://www.uwest.edu/sanskritcanon/  resulted in no hits.

A friend of mine (Ralf Boeck) did find in the
Astasahasrika-Prajnaparamitasutra:
- 46. samâdhi: sarvadharmavibhavamudrA nAma samAdhi
- 47. samâdhi: sarvadharmavibhavasamudro nAma samAdhi
       with "samudro = ocean", but also "samudro = sealed"!

Obviously there are many occurences of hǎiyìn sānmèi, 海印三昧, in the
Avatamsaka-sutra, but until now, I have no hint of this
sāgara-mudrā-samādhi in any early Sanskrit-text. Did anyone here has
seen this mysterious samâdhi anywhere :-) ?

Thank you very much,
in metta,
bernhard

--