[Buddha-l] The Origins of Om Manipadme Hum

Jamie Hubbard jhubbard at email.smith.edu
Mon Jul 21 12:52:11 MDT 2008

>... >> >brburl at charter.net: You are new here,
>aren't you? ... > No, I have been a member since
>the days of an Intel 486DX and Louisville (?).

What with the weird formatting I am not quite sure who is calling whom
a newbie, but just for the historical record, let me mention that Bruce
Burrill was, as far as I know, the very first sysop of a Buddhist
discussion list, known as "Indra-Net" (which almost got us sued back in
the day). Bruce, that would have been around the early eighties, no?

One of the better forums on Indra-Net was known as the "Hahayana,"
which, among other things, had a section of computer generated prose
from famous Buddhologists (you know, you type in two or three paragraphs
of Shakespear and the computer generates a pseudo-Shakespear text for
you). The trick was to guess which gobbledygook was from which scholar
(Hopkins, Conze, Kiyota, and Guenther were among the more quickly
recognized). Ahhh, if only we would have had some of Richard's Buddha-L
postings in those days. . .

In any case, Bruce hosted Indra-Net (a bulletin board, I believe it was
called) on his own equipment as well as moderated the posts. I was
somewhat of a shadow partner. It only lasted about two years, if memory
serves me correctly. Then Bruce bought a really big Harley Davidson and
well. . . that was probably more fun.

His place in our history.

Jamie Hubbard