No subject

Mon Jul 21 19:59:37 MDT 2008

He writes really well, but given the demonstrated problematics of
his accounting of his story I would have a hard [time] taking
whatever he says at face value.
http://www.ex-cult.org/fwbo/fwbofiles.htm

His opening chapters of his SURVEY are brilliant and enjoyable to
read. I still occasionally refer to them. The only Buddhist whose
writing is better is Conze.
------------
Joanna:
I went through the entire Memoir as it is in the pdf and found
nowhere that he claims he was in Nagpur during the first big
conversion ceremony or at any of the mass conversion ceremonies
of ex-untouchables, nor that he was an advisor to Ambedkar (as
alleged in the above link under the rubric, "Dr. Ambedkar and the
Untouchables") .

Instead, his accounts of being in Nagpur and with respect to
Ambedkar can be found as follows:
His first visit to Nagpur, in 1954, is recounted in the memoir in
Ch 10, "Buddhism and the Nagpur Bar" where he is befriended by
Dr.Kulkarni, former lawyer and by then self-described Hindu
devotee of the Buddha.

Traveling back to Nagpur (while en route to Cal)  just when
Ambedkar died is recounted in Ch 23, DEATH OF A HERO  p321ff.

There's much more about his services to the Maha Bodhi journal
and how a small faction tried to oust him from writing and
editing it (see Ch 11),  as well as S. NOT claiming he was the
founder of the WBO and citing the name of the real founder. (He
says nothing much about this, and nothing about what apparently
much later were fights over leadership, etc.. Nothing surprising
there so far as "spiritual" organizations go.)

I looked through all the footnotes to the material in the article
(above link) and don't find the pdf I've been reading, which was
published in 1996.  And the 'Arthur Rimbaud' who signed this FWBO
Files article seems to be a pseudonym. Anybody know who he is?

IMO more research on S. than found in the above link needs to be
done in order to corroborate Sangharakshita's and/or his
detractors' claims as to who did what, when. (As for the stuff
about S.s sex life, I'm not interested.)