[Buddha-l] ?????

Jayarava jayarava at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 11:38:07 MDT 2008

--- On Fri, 10/10/08, jkirk <jkirk at spro.net> wrote:

> Ok got it!

That scene is one of a series of jokes about Romans (usually the "bloody Romans"), and was intended as an ironic comment on the discussion of European and US imperialism - bloody Americans! - and the enthusiastic and unrepentant ignorance of people from North of the equator, about the south.

I'm convinced by Richard's argument that the US is the "Land of No Buddha" - just to throw in a Buddhist reference. But he wrote that when he lived in Canada and seems to have succumbed to nostalgia for home lately.

I'm from New Zealand (which for the bloody Americans is in the southern hemisphere), but live in bloody England and trace my descent from the bloody English. The Māori name for our country is Aotearoa usually translated as "Land of the Long White Cloud", or alternatively as "Land of the Wrong White Crowd".

Jayarava