[Buddha-l] [Fwd: PEACE Quote]

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Oct 22 16:23:23 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 14:47 -0700, Katherine Masis wrote:

> Joanna, I always thought that when people used to say "Confucius
> says, ...." it was some kind of joke, or the beginning of a joke--was
> it?

Not just any old joke. The informal rules of a "Confucius say" joke was
that it had to involve a ribald pun, preferably delivered in a fake
Chinese accent. I would blush to provide an example that still remains
in my mind from sometime around grade four. Since I hate blushing in
public, I'll refrain from telling it. (For more information on
refraining from making ribald jokes in a fake Chinese accent, see the
Buddhist speech precepts.)

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Jokology