[Buddha-l] A question for Jewish Buddhists

Joel Tatelman tatelman at rogers.com
Thu Oct 23 16:04:29 MDT 2008

> Richard,
>
>> When Jewish people take up Buddhism, do they experience a conflict
>> over this teaching about the relative seriousness of an indiscretion
>> depending on the overall character of the person being indiscreet?

Of the two traditional positions, Buddhist and Jewish, the latter
makes a lot more sense to me. My very simplistic take on it is that
the more "authoritative" or high-status or influential a person, the
more impact his or her actions have and therefore the more serious
are his or her misdeeds.  And while I appreciate the Buddhist
valuation of the quality of the intention that induces one to act,
causing other beings suffering is what it is.

If I am (supposedly--how does one assess this?) a spiritually
advanced being or, say, hold influential public office, such
unskilful deeds of body, speech and mind as I commit--no matter what
the intention that engendered them--are likely to cause more
suffering or inspire/be used to justify more unskilfulness with more
serious consequences than if I am not. And such a position, it seems
to me, accords quite well with "general" Buddhist teaching, if not
with certain scholastic analyses or interpretations of it.

Anyway, skilful or not, it's back to the new Lucinda Williams CD...

Cheers,

Joel Tatelman