[Buddha-l] buddha-l gathering

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Thu Dec 3 10:24:14 MST 2009

> I obviously should have added, for those unaware of this
well-known
> fact, that both it and the Panchatantra have undergone decades
of
> research on the migration of stories through various
> traditions, although perhaps leaving a tinier paper trail.
>
> Jehosasvaha!
>
> JK

Please Joanna, maintain your grumpyness it's healthy, and a good
read. But interest is a relational and relative term as Richard
already mentioned. Karl Marx proved that the behaviour and
thoughts of people are not only determined by texts. Things are
terribly important and the more so if they have a lot of meaning.
A philosopher of science called Bruno Latour invented the Actor
Network Theory, a theory that studies the influence of networks
caused by things. Now relics were very important and in this case
they forged a  bond between Buddhism and Catholicism. Perhaps it
could the occasion to the start of a new Buddholicism.
The journey of Indian tales through the Arab countries to Europe
and the Americas is also a fascinating subject, but it's a
different field of interest. I think it's difficult to compare
the influence of the relic in question with the Tales of 1001
Nights or other stories that became familiar in the West.

Erik
Hi Erik,

Me??? grumpy???  LOL
I'm unclear as to what you refer to as "the relic"?
Please advise.....

Cheers, JK