[Buddha-l] Lamas and such

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Dec 3 23:21:31 MST 2009

Gang,

Whatever the meaning of "bla-ma" in Tibetan (thank you, Dan and Kate),
I think the meaning in English necessarily differs, for historical
reasons. Without being able to prove it, I assert there is no question
the English term "Lamaism" is analogous to "Popery" and is thus
distorted, reductive, and pejorative. Please consider the historical
and intellectual context of the origin of this English word and apply
a little hermeneutic of suspicion.

Of course *I* think the English word "obtain" means something
different than "attain," so you are all wise to doubt my pronouncements.

Franz