[Buddha-l] Lamas and such

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 04:44:29 MST 2009

Hi John,
> I have never heard the term "zielenboer" before and google does not return
> any hits.

Probably because it's a neologism.
In fact agent particles like "ma", "pa", "ba", "mo" etc. are called
"ming mtha'" ("name ends") and can be added to a noun to design an agent
(professions etc.). E.g. the word "zhing" (field) followed by "pa" makes
zhing-pa, literally  a field-er, a farmer. "rta" is a horse and rta-pa a
horse rider. "yi ge " is a letter/syllable and yi-ge-pa a scribe or
copyist. So if you have "bla" (soul) and you use a nominalising "name
end", with its professional undertones, to express an agent, then you
could translate bla-ma as a "soul-er".

I got the idea for "farmer" from the combination zhing-pa (field-er =
farmer). The Dutch -boer can be added to jobs that usually have a nice
ring to them in order to attenuate the nice ring. Like an "estate agent"
becomes a "huizenboer" (house farmer) and a stock broker an
"aandelenboer" (share farmer). Hence the "zielenboer" (soul farmer). If
the neologism "soul farmer" ever makes it as a standard translation for
lama, I would like this post to be included in etymological dictionaries.

Joy