[Buddha-l] Lamas and such

S. A. Feite sfeite at roadrunner.com
Fri Dec 4 11:53:28 MST 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 1:15 PM, Chris Fynn wrote:

> That center was actually started by Kalmyk Mongols not Tibetans -
> which
> is perhaps why it was not called the "Tibetan Buddhist Monastery of
> America"
>
> "Lamaism" may not be wholly Tibetan (as "Buddhism" is not wholly
> Sanskrit) but. as Lama is an honorific term, Tibetans do not usually
> find the word derogatory,

Yes, Lopez notes that. It's also worth pointing out that it was
referring to the Kalmyks ("Calmoucks") that we find the first (known)
Western use of the word Lamaism.

I would suspect the people most likely to be offended by the word
would be educated, worldly Tibetans, with some knowledge of the world
outside, who spoke English or a European language.