[Buddha-l] three vehicles.

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Sat Dec 5 22:45:57 MST 2009

Ok I got that, and thanks for posting.
Now where does mantrayana come in?

JK
============================

It's pretty common to see the three vehicles, in the Tibetan
traditions, described as:
	[DGT] [NDS] [KPC] give as: 1) nyan thos kyi theg
pa Shravakayana"Hearer's vehicle"; 2) rang sangs rgyas kyi theg
pa Prayekabuddhayana"Self-made buddha vehicle"; and 3) theg pa
chen po Mahayana "Great vehicle".  However, these are the three
vehicles when given in respect to the sūtra division of the great
vehicle.  When taken from the perspective of the vajra division
of the great vehicle, the first vehicle is the theg pa dman
pa Hinayana "Low Vehicle"; the second is the theg pa chen
po Mahayana "Great Vehicle"; and the third is the rdo rje theg
pa Vajrayana "Vajra Vehicle".
adapted from the Illuminator dictionary
Mike

quote:I had always come across the three yanas as hinayana,
mahayana and vajrayana. This cluster you cite--shravakayana,
mahayana and mantrayana-- is news to me. Also, I never saw
shravakayana before-what's that?
Since when did mantrayana become a separate practice? Why can't
one just use Tibetan Buddhism or Mongolian Buddhism to apply to
the various schools & locations of, leaving scholars to reference
precise differences in Tibetan or Mongolian?

Joanna