[Buddha-l] Lamas and such

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 6 01:17:23 MST 2009

Hi Kate,

> I pasted the passage into the google translation machine - gosh, what a
> jumbled mess!!

That'll give you an idea what part of the posting google is responsible
for -- and I take blame for the rest.

> And thanks for the correction, though I'm going to hold off accepting this

I wasn't correcting, just reporting what the Chinese text says. Shangren
literally means "High One", "superior person", but could be rendered more
loosely as Exalted, which is what the google translator chose. I didn't
think there was a significant enough difference between "superior one" and
"Exalted" to change that, as long as the basic idea gets through -- viz.
that, according to the Foguangshan Buddhist Dictionary, one is called
shangren = lama because of inner and outer excellent qualities and
activities.

Dan