[Buddha-l] Lamas and such

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Dec 7 10:36:21 MST 2009

On Dec 7, 2009, at 12:59 AM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

>> That's sad to hear. Perhaps it is time to let the word "small" stop
>> having all those negative connotations and take on the attitude in
>> the
>> beautiful little book called "Small in Beautiful."
>
> Great idea. I'll wave my wand and get a billion Chinese to think
> differently
> about one of their oldest and most basic valuative terms overnight.

Careful reader that you are, I'm sure you recognize that that was not
my suggestion at all. I have no interest is getting the Chinese to
think differently about anything, except possibly the importance of
curbing greenhouse gas emissions. My suggestion is much more modest in
scope; I suggest that it is not necessary for Buddhist scholars to
follow suit in regarding anything small as ipso facto unworthy.

Richard