[Buddha-l] FW: H-ASIA: CFP Buddhism and Nordland, Tallinn, Estonia, Sep 2010

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Dec 18 16:14:02 MST 2009

On Dec 18, 2009, at 3:36 PM, JKirkpatrick wrote:

> Wouldn't this be fun to go to? In September--a season of glorious
> color, one might hope, that far north and all that~~~~~
> Bet getting there costs a bundle.

You could save yourself a bundle by renting "The Singing Revolution." It should warm the heart of any Buddhist who has leanings toward pacifism and Baltic music. For years I have been a huge fan of Arvo Pärt, about whom I learned from a Buddhist violinist who, like me, took Buddhism to be an invitation to pacifism. Of course, liking music of any sort pretty much disqualifies one as a legitimate Buddhist, but I'm content being only Pärtly a Buddhist.

If you haven't seen the movie, take a look at the trailer at http://www.singingrevolution.com/ (In the interest of full disclosure, I must confess I once had an Estonian dentist, who was a Gandhian pacifist, so my biases should be regarded with caution and subjected to the full rigors of the hermeneutics of suspicion.)

Richard