[Buddha-l] How Gallup, Pew & Templeton Proselytize in the Guise of "Research"

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 27 13:01:00 MST 2009

This seems to me to be too much of a blanket condemnation.

I am fairly sure from my own knowledge that Templeton should not be
included in this list. This is simply a Christian organization engaging
in research from a Christian point of view. It is obviously likely to be
biased from various non-Christian standpoints, but no more than that. I
do not believe that it is engaged in some kind of attempt to distort the
facts.

As regards Gallup too, I would like more evidence. This has been in the
past a reputable polling organization. It is not enough to indicate the
private activities or personal convictions of some of its leadership and
owners. I would like some specific case(s) of actual bias: e.g. polls
with loaded questions or polls with results that appear to contradict
other comparable surveys.

Pew I have myself been suspicious of in the past. The China-India
contrast does seem peculiar, but of course makes perfect sense if what
is actually meant is prejudice against Christian missionary activity.
Here too, though, we should be looking for more evidence rather than
taking general positions.

The evidence against this Hayes fellow seems overwhelming.

Happy New Year,

Lance Cousins.