[Buddha-l] Dogmatic opinions vs. philosophical convictions

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Jul 3 09:39:36 MDT 2009

Friends,

David Seyfort Ruegg wrote in his 1981 monograph, The Literature of the
Madhyamaka School, the following:

\begin{quote}
Accordingly, the Madhyamaka can properly be said to have a
philosophical theory (darśana)—as distinct from a speculative view
or a dogmatic opinion (dṛṣṭi)—albeit not one founded on any
conceptuality construed hypostatizing of some kind of entity, be it
positive, negative, both or neither. (p. 3)
\end{quote}

Various scholars of Indian thought I have known have stressed the
difference between an unconsidered view (dṛṣṭi) and a carefully
reasoned position (darśana). What I am wondering is how widespread it
was in classical Indian literature to use those two Sanskrit terms to
refer to the distinction between a "dogmatic opinion" and a
"philosophical theory". I also wonder when that distinction began to
be made. It seems not to have been operative at the time when the
Buddhist eightfold path was formulated, since the first item on the
list is samyagdṛṣṭi, which is unlikely to mean "Right dogmatic
opinion."

Ashok, are you there? Dan? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Richard Hayes