[Buddha-l] Extreme practice

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Tue Jul 7 02:26:47 MDT 2009

Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Ch. 23 of the Lotus Sutra is the locus classicus for the practice of
> self-immolation.

If the practice comes from the Lotus Sutra, we can at least be reassured
Richard won't be immolating himself any time soon.

Full body prostrations as a mode of travel and penance is
> found throughout Mahayana countries. Middle aged Taiwanese women can often
> be seen engaged in that "practice." The famous Chinese monk Xuyun (Empty
> Cloud) traveled to Burma from China that way. How damaging and detrimental
> is it? He lived to 113.

Anybody who can manage to prostrate from China to Burma, or from
Szechuan to Mt. Kailash at Himalyan altitudes, probably has a strong
constitution.

Tibetans believe the practice of prostrations removes physical
defilements and counteracts negative karma caused by bodily actions -
they would see someone who had performed this practice living on to
reach 113 years as evidence of the efficacy of this practice.

A bit of this can't be bad for well-fed middle aged Taiwanese either.

- Chris