[Buddha-l] Clay Sanskrit

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Jul 7 14:26:19 MDT 2009

What a fine and charming article about the CSL; if only another
millionaire could be found to take up the challenge. Any
millionaires on this list?
Thanks for posting it. I never heard of this 'findarticles'
website --looks extremely useful.
Joanna

=======================

Here is another article that is far more explicit and definitive
about the closing of CSL:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5270/is_2_83/ai_n31440831
/

"Requiem for Sanskrit By Willis Goth Regier Clay was frustrated
by the pace of progress: himself fighting a crippling disease, he
originally planned to complete the zoo-volume library by 2010.
Its last volumes will appear this year. Clay expected a reception
for the CSL comparable to its ambition but didn't get it....
There was no pent-up appetite for Sanskrit classics..... Against
great odds, he published a series of successes. Even unfinished,
the CSL is magnificent..... Grieve for the Clay Sanskrit Library,
gone in its youth. As the series grew, its notes increased, its
introductions improved, and its translations..... Regret for the
close of the CSL will grow as rapidly as the gratitude for its
achievements.....  Had Clay been able to see the CSL to its goal,
English readers would have found the way to Sanskrit literature
paved for them with handsome books bound in emerald blue. Get
them while you can and let them take you as far as you can go.
You will visit marvelous places, with rivers of milk and
wish-giving trees, where sages debate, poets sing, and captive
spirits break ancient curses by telling tales of India."

Curt

Jayarava wrote:
> The article that people are citing is
>
> Clay Sanskrit Library/New York University Press by ADITYA BEHL.

> Review published in The Times Literary Supplement, June 19
2009, no. 5542, pp. 3-8.

> It can be found here: http://is.gd/1ofcq on the CSL site.
>
> Last para: "... It is this reviewer's understanding that this
superb series is being closed down midway through its initial
plan of a hundred volumes."