[Buddha-l] The Case for God

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Jul 9 12:50:48 MDT 2009

Weng-Fai Wong wrote:
> Piya wrote:
>
>> From what I have read of Armstrong (not all her works) is that she is not
>> strong in specifics, esp Buddhist specifics.
>>

> Her new book "The Case for God" actually ends with a para about the Buddha.

How in blue blazes could a book about "God" conclude with a paragraph
about the Buddha? Especially considered Armstrong's track record with
respect to the Buddha Dharma.

The fact that Armstrong frames her response to Dawkins & Co. in terms of
"God", while simultaneously claiming that she is speaking on behalf of
all the world's religions, is a very bad sign. Worse yet, the framing is
actually in terms not just of "God", but of that boneheaded Christian
obsession with "proving" the "existence" of their "God", or "making a
case" for him, or whatever.

Since Armstrong has no qualms about critiquing the New Atheists as "not
theologically literate", and since she also says that their polemics
"lack intellectual depth" (both of which are valid points), it is
perhaps permissible to mention the fact that Armstrong herself is not a
scholar of religion and/or comparative religion, nor is she in any
meaningful sense a historian -- or any other kind of scholar, for that
matter. So her inability to come up with a genuinely pan-religious
response to the New Atheists shouldn't be all that surprising, I suppose.

When Armstrong was on Bill Moyer's show a few months back she actually
stated that ancient Greek Pagans "may have been not religious in our
sense". She apparently didn't realize that she was talking about the
people to who gave us such words as theology, piety and divinity. In
fact, the founders of Christianity did not use the word "God", but
rather "ho theos" and/or "deus" - words appropriated from the Pagan
Greeks and Romans.

Curt