[Buddha-l] Extreme practice

Zelders.YH zelders.yh at wxs.nl
Fri Jul 10 20:12:20 MDT 2009

Dan wrote :

> > I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying here, Dan. Do you
> > doubt the political effect of those self-immolations,
>
>No doubt. It did nothing to ease the anti-Buddhist persecutions in S.
>Vietnam (and we wondered why the people never supported us); we continued to
>replace on N. Vietnamese Catholic with another as puppet rulers of a
>Buddhist country; so Catholic that they banned celebrations of Buddha's
>birthday, etc. -- which was what was being protested in this case.

You're right, in essence it didn't change US politics, (although it
certainly was a factor in the fall of Diem).
But please explain, Dan, why do you speak of 'we' ? Did you perhaps
yourself take part in deciding on those issues ?  Who exactly is 'we'
?  You don't mean all citizens of the USA (and their political
allies), do you ?  Some kind of group aatman ? Do 'we' carry a
collective guilt ? I made a whole lot of stupid mistakes in my life
but (although being a citizen of one of those Western European allied
states and a young but supposedly responsible adult in 1963) on such
a charge I would plead not guilty.

>It was a spectacle that received international attention, but changed no
>political opinions. People in the West were more baffled by it than
>persuaded to translate that into political action. Those who were against
>the war were already against the war. Those who were for the war dismissed
>it as an act of oriental lunacy.

Well, I can assure you, in Western Europe it changed a lot of
political opinions. Many people there who before weren't very aware
of what was happening in Vietnam became alerted and took an interest
in the matter and started to protest against their governments
slavishly following US directives. Of course, sub speciae
aeternitatis that all could be dismissed as just some little
effective "sound and fury", and indeed maybe that is all that it was,
but then it shaped many people's lives, and in the end that is not nothing.

Erik wrote :

>The conflict in Vietnam was a very complex one. [.....]
and
>In such a situation it doesn't help much to pretend
>that the whole conflict was about Catholics against Buddhists.

Surely, Erik, the Vietnam conflict was quite complicated, and I don't
think anybody - neither Dan nor Stuart nor me - suggested that it was
mainly a struggle between buddhist and catholics.

Herman Zelders