[Buddha-l] women & , er, religion

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Jul 20 19:06:48 MDT 2009

Hi Michael,

Thanks for mentioning Japan.
As an anthropologist (that label could be read as
anthro-apologist, no?) I tend to agree with you about women and
blood. If men bled hard they might die; women bled monthly,
repeatedly, and didn't die. Hence, something mysterious and scary
about them.  Eventually, probably after the beginnings of
ag-culture, when men took more control of resources, men acted as
if such blood was contaminating to men, to the earth, and to
their rituals. Their fear and dread had to be controlled. The
only place where we find this phobia reversed ritually is in
Hindu (and Buddhist?) tantra. But tantra was mostly secretive,
and so such a reversal did nothing for the ordinary situation of
women. ) There's much more but no point in going into it here.)

In China, before the modern era, the blood of childbirth was so
strongly held against women that their spiritual destination was
hell, even though it was the only way for men to get sons.

Back to Japan: I just read a wonderful article about shamanism in
Japan, by a Japanese scholar--the shamans were 90% women, of
various social origins. The miko, for ex., began as a shaman who
was possessed by deities, but evolved into a Shinto shrine
dancer. Eventually shamanism became co-opted to some extent by
both Buddhism and Confucianism, such that some of the ritual
structure remained but not the whole magilla.  The shamanesses
were socially complex, not all from the same classes or groups.
These women controlled a lot of the spiritual landscape, so to
speak--prophecy, divining, talking to the spirits of the dead.
You can find the article (open access) here:
 http://e-asia.uoregon.edu/easia/nufound.cfm go to the pdf
article by Hori Ichiro.

Best,
Joanna