[Buddha-l] women & , er, religion

Stuart Lachs slachs at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 20 23:34:07 MDT 2009

> MIchael Paris wrote:
>> I'm not aware that there are fully ordained Tibetan nuns, at least
> [...]

At the last AAR there was a panel concerning western Tibetan nuns wanting
full ordination, as there is
none at present, at least not in the Gelugpa sect. There was a conference in
Germany, I think two years ago,
attended by the Dalai Lama. A number of western academics attended and
presented papers on different
aspects of the Vinaya, of discussing that Taiwan had fully ordained nuns and
the possibility of instituting a joint Taiwanese/Tibetan ordination for
Tibetan nuns to begin full ordination. It was mostly driven
by the interests of long term western nuns who do not have full ordination.
Apparently, Tibetan nuns seemed to
have different concerns, mostly access to more education among other things.
Some problems arose as there
was no tranlation supplied for the Tibetan nuns who attended, so they had
little understanding what was actually said.
A strong statement was expected from the Dalai Lama but it did not come. He
gave a speech at the end of the conference
that was prepared before the conference began. I believe he said that he
could not force this change.  At least that is what I remember of this
panel.

Stuart