[Buddha-l] women & , er, religion

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jul 21 15:55:14 MDT 2009

On Jul 21, 2009, at 2:21 PM, Jayarava wrote:

> --- On Tue, 21/7/09, jkirk <jkirk at spro.net> wrote:
>
>> Does the FWBO ordain women?

We, the undersigned, must strenuously disagree with Jayarava here. As
we understand Buddhist ordination, the FWBO does not ordain women at
all. That is because it does not ordain ANYONE in the sense most
Buddhists understand ordination. There are no bhikkhus or bhikkhunis
who follow the vinaya in the FWBO. It is extremely misleading to call
dharmachari(ni) initiation "ordination". It is, well, the word just
used: initiation. In India they call the ceremony of becoming a
dharmachari(ni) dīkṣā (diik.saa, for those who lack Unicode
capabilities), which means any religious ceremony or investiture or
initiation. Dharmacāridīkṣā is never called upasampadā.

Quakers, as is well known, have no ordained clergy. The view, however,
is that everyone is qualified to be every bit as inspired and as
accomplished as an ordained priest or minister. What some Quakers say
is "It's not that Quakers have no clergy. Rather, it's that Quakers
have no laity, for everyone who attends a Quaker meeting is ipso facto
a minister." In a sense (but only in a limited sense), the same might
be said of the FWBO. There are no ordained monks, but everyone is
considered fully capable of effectively going for refuge. Initiation
into the WBO is simply a recognition that one is committed to going
for refuge and is seen as doing so by other people who have been
initiated into the WBO. It is really not much different from becoming
formally accepted as a member of a Quaker meeting through a minute at
a business meeting.

Now that we've said all that, we guess we'll have to see whether the
FWBO has excommunication. We may have just made ourselves eligible.
(And yes, Quakers have excommunication. In the 1970s there was a
strong movement in Philadelphia to excommunicate President Richard
Nixon for his dramatic and persistent failures to adhere to the Quaker
peace testimony. The Philadelphia initiative ultimately failed to gain
enough traction to result in Nixon's excommunication from Quakerdom,
as a result of which several people left the Quaker movement, saying
they could not belong to any religious organization that would
tolerate Nixon as a member in good standing.)

Dayamati Dharmachari (WBO)
and Richard Hayes (RSFQ)