[Buddha-l] women & , er, religion

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Jul 21 19:03:19 MDT 2009

This is also true of Wicca - in Starhawk's "Spiral Dance" she famously
wrote that Witchcraft or The Craft (the terms she prefers over Wicca)
"is a religion of clergy". It's possible that she stole the idea from
the Quakers, or that she got it from the Yippies ("A Yippie is a leader
with no followers." Jerry Rubin). Although it is more likely derived
from Freemasonry/Ceremonial Magic.

"Clergy" also has a very practical connotation of someone who is
empowered to officiate at weddings and funerals. This is more important
for weddings than for funerals because if it is not done "legally" the
two people will not really, officially be married, and that makes a
difference. However if someone whose paperwork is not in order
officiates at your funeral - well, you are still just as dead.

Who officiates at a Quaker wedding?

Also the discussion seems to be blurring the distinction between
ordination of Monastics and ordination of Priests.

Curt