[Buddha-l] women & , er, religion

Alex Wilding alex at chagchen.org
Wed Jul 22 02:00:55 MDT 2009

Jayarava wrote:
> Well. Don't strain yourself my friend. Sangharakshita has always called it an
> ordination, and I think only a pedantic Buddhist would take issue with that usage.
I think that you are not only calling me but many other people with respect for the English language pedantic - an accusation I reject. Clear use of language with respect for accepted usage is not the same as pedantry.
I have no axe to grind for or against the FWBO - I've read some of the criticism, I've read some of the defence, I know a couple of members. It's perfectly clear that the "whatever it is" does not constitute ordination into any of the orders of monks or nuns with their hundreds of vows.
This reminds me of the people who've taken tantric empowerments and want to be called "ordained ngagpas"; every monk is a lama, every lama is a Rinpoche, every Rinpoche is a fully enlightened tulku of somebody dead...
So yes, I take issue with your usage, and no, I'm not a pedant.

All the best
Alex Wilding
Blog: http://chagchen.org/