[Buddha-l] Orders and Ordinations (was women & , er, religion)

Jayarava jayarava at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 22 08:25:49 MDT 2009

In case Alex has lost his dictionary here are some clips from one of my favourites:  http://www.etymonline.com/

ORDER: c.1225, "body of persons living under a religious discipline," from O.Fr. ordre (11c.), from earlier ordene, from L. ordinem (nom. ordo) "row, rank, series, arrangement," originally "a row of threads in a loom," from Italic root *ored(h)- "to arrange, arrangement" (cf. ordiri "to begin to weave," e.g. in primordial), of unknown origin.

ORDAIN c.1290, "to appoint or admit to the ministry of the Church," from stem of O.Fr. ordener, from L. ordinare "put in order, arrange, dispose, appoint," from ordo (gen. ordinis) "order." The notion is "to confer holy orders upon"

ORDINATION 1432, "the act of conferring holy orders," from M.Fr. ordinacion (12c.), from L. ordinationem (nom. ordinatio) "a setting in order, ordinance," from ordinatus, pp. of ordinare "arrange"

Ordination comes quite late I see, not until the 15th century. Well I suppose these neologisms will creep in.

Jayarava