[Buddha-l] Orders and Ordinations (was women & , er, religion)

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Wed Jul 22 19:49:24 MDT 2009

Elihu et al.,

Thank you for what you called a "slight correction." I have to admit
it's more than slight.

Yes, of course the blurring between "priest" and "monk" was already
present in the Japanese tradition centuries before Maezumi Roshi. By
contrast, the separation of "priestly" and "lay" tracks is new and (in
my view) crucially important in the development of Western Zen
Buddhism. Maezumi was very aware of this distinction and very open to
letting his dharma heirs work this issue out--both for themselves and
for their own dharma heirs.

Elihu is surely also right that even the most monastic of the priests
Maezumi ordained were still not even coming close to following Vinaya
regulations. Still, I got the sense (and here I am being very "human
science-y," and cannot support my position except through my own
recollections of my experiences) that there were some disciples,
including some dharma heirs, who thought of themselves and were
regarded as something like monks, rather than more this-worldly
priests. But then this sort of status was time-limited, much as it is
in Thai culture. One would never think of a teen-aged Thai boy as a
monk once he came back to society and got a job and started looking
for a girlfriend. Perhaps taking some extra vows would indeed help
matters in regard to Western Zen "monks."

Thanks for the help,

Franz