[Buddha-l] Gremium, Ordination and Vinaya

schnipp schnupp schnippschnupp at yahoo.de
Thu Jul 23 01:04:32 MDT 2009

Sorry for the confusion, I was so sure "gremium" is used in English ... What I meaned was panel or board. So the question is: Who do you turn to when violations of Vinaya rules occur in the US? Do you have kind of a Vinaya board to discuss them - which means deal with them according to the Vinaya? That, along with other tasks like making the Vinaya known, should be the aim of such a board.

For example, sex with penetration (by Vinaya ordained monks or nuns) means a lifelong exclusion from the sangha. So it is s.th. important that should be brought to attention.

Another problem then is that the ordained don't like transparency too much. I would hope that they make their "decisions" according to the Vinaya visible in cases where the laity is interested (i.e. needs to be protected from harming teachers).

Guido