[Buddha-l] caste-ist term ?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Jul 25 10:21:46 MDT 2009

On Jul 25, 2009, at 5:11 AM, Mike Austin wrote:

> It is disparaging to apply the term 'Hinayana' to an identified
> group of
> practitioners but, if it is a generic term, does it disparage
> anyone? Do
> any practitioners describe themselves as 'Hinayana'?

This cannot be said often enough. Thanks for saying it again, Mike.

> Perhaps this precept is really about not applying the term
> 'Hinayana' to
> actual practitioners while, at the same time, reminding oneself that
> the
> Mahayana is, well, 'Maha'.

Years ago I was reading a Pali commentary to Buddhaghosa's
Visuddhimaggo and was pleasantly surprised to see him making a
distinction between taking vows and following precepts in a hīnayāna
fashion and taking them in a mahāyāna fashion. The former individual,
he says, takes vows and precepts with an eye to gaining some kind of
personal advantage from doing so, while the latter takes them for the
sake of helping the world as a whole. Here the terms are used to make
an important distinction in motivation but without any reference at
all to groups or sects or nikāyas as a whole. Moreover, the point is
made clear that even if one does a good thing while motivated at least
to some degree by self-interest, one is still doing a good thing. And
doing a good thing is, well, a good thing to do.

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico
http://www.unm.edu/~rhayes