[Buddha-l] women & , er, religion

Kdorje at aol.com Kdorje at aol.com
Sat Jul 25 11:05:23 MDT 2009

In a message dated 7/25/2009 12:10:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rhayes at unm.edu writes:

<<<And some of us reject both of those usages and cling to  the meaning it
has in all the abhidharma traditions. The sangha is  nothing but the
set of all those who have attained stream-entry or  the other levels of
ārya-pudgala on up to arhant. That is the  meaning of sangha as an
unmarked term, and it is only this sangha to  which a Buddhist goes for
refuge. >>>
Yes, these are the teachings in the Vajrayana/Tibetan traditions as well,
as I am sure you know. In samsara the ordained sangha of "monks" and "nuns"
(I use scare quotes because I live in fear that lay gremlins will  come
after me should I not observe the vows) are said to represent the actual
sangha of refuge, the arhats and bodhisattvas, just as statues and paintings of
the buddhas represent the Buddha, and Dharma texts represent the Dharma. It
has  been said that even a scrap of red cloth can be venerated.

It should be pointed out that the teachings are that the benefits of
veneration accrue to the venerator, not the object of veneration, in the
generation of positive karma that will come to fruition for his/her future
benefit.

Best  wishes,

Konchog Dorje
Steps!