[Buddha-l] women & , er, religion

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Jul 29 15:21:34 MDT 2009

On Jul 28, 2009, at 9:47 PM, Kdorje at aol.com wrote:

> One suspects that perhaps our fellow denizens are applying
> Judeo-Christian-Islamic or other paradigms of competition to a
> system that  is more likely
> to incorporate and synthesize than to vanquish differing  views.

No need to suspect that. The denizens who are wary of the term
hīnayāna have gotten their paradigm directly from Mahāyāna sutras
that declare that teachers will go to hell (admittedly only for a few
incalculable aeons) for presenting the hīnayāna. It is simply
undeniable that the Mahāyāna began as a triumphalist movement.
Eventually, when attitudes softened and Buddhists decided to stop
their internal bickering so they could take on non-Buddhist enemies,
the connotations of certain words changed.

I suspect the dynamic of rivalry between the sectarian Buddhists was
similar in important ways to the bitter divisions that existed between
pro-slavery and anti-slavery factions in the United States after the
civil war. There was no chance they could ever agree on whether it is
moral for a Christian to own another human being, but they could (and
did) agree that it was perfectly acceptable to try to exterminate non-
Christian indigenous peoples.

> A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above.

I'll bear that in mind.

Richard Hayes