[Buddha-l] women & , er, religion

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Jul 29 15:28:36 MDT 2009

On Jul 29, 2009, at 12:32 AM, Mike Austin wrote:

> The practice
> shared between Hinayana and Mahayana may be called Hinayana but,
> due to
> motivation, a Mahayanist would not call himself/herself a
> Hinayanist.  I
> think this is what Richard meant.

Not quite. What I meant was that no Buddhist anywhere at any time in
history would ever say that the school of Buddhism that she follows is
a hīnayāna school. Some Buddhists, such as myself, would readily
admit as individuals that they are so poor at their practice that they
are in fact followed an inferior form of the noble path (or are
following the noble path in an inferior way). But no one would say "My
school of Buddhism is a worthless path." Presumably, if one did
believe that, one would go out and find a less worthless path to follow.

Richard