[Buddha-l] Dharmakīrti's views on hīnayāna

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Jul 29 19:40:27 MDT 2009

Dear denizens,

I have spent the better part of my adult life studying the work of a
Buddhist philosopher, a fellow named Dharmakīrti (whose name means,
approximately, "Praise the Dharma!"), for whom I have almost no
respect at all. Perhaps a more accurate way to say it would be that I
fundamentally disagree with him on many issues that matter to me a lot
as a practical Buddhist. That notwithstanding, I do find that he
occasionally makes moves that strike me as well motivated.

The recent prapañca-storm about the term "hīnayāna" got me curious
about what Dharmakīrti had to say about the alleged distinction
between hīnayāna and mahāyāna. I thought it might be interesting,
given that he is usually perceived as someone who was determined to
find a common ground among all Buddhists and to avoid the bitter
sectarianism that had divided the Buddhists of his day in India.
(Being an ecumenist and a pluralist and a Jamesian Pragmatist, I am
generally sympathetic with everything I have said about Dharmakīrti so
far.)

A trio of Japanese scholars (ONO Motoi, ODA Jun'ichi, and TAKASHIMA
Jun) typed the entire Sanskrit corpus of Dharmakīrti's works and put
them online. Then they wrote a program to produced a KWIC (Key Word In
Context) index to every Sanskrit word used in the writings of
Dharmakīrti. I looked up "hīnayāna" in the index. Here's what came
up: nothing. Dharmakīrti never used the word. Nor did he ever use the
word "mahāyāna." Naturally, this won him to my heart. I always admire
people who manage to avoid the topics I try without success to avoid.

Mr Kīrti uses the word "hīna" several times. He notes that vile
practices (hīna-karma) lead to awful situations and bad rebirth (hīna-
sthāna-gati). The examples of vile karma that he mentions by name are
cruelty, theft and sexual intercourse.

Mr Kīrti also uses the related word "heya" several times. ("Hīna"
means "discarded, avoided, rejected" and "heya" means "what should be
discarded, avoided and rejected.") What should be rejected?
Dharmakīrti tells us that the things to be avoided are those things
that are counterproductive, that is, those things that lead to
consequences that are the opposite of what we hoped for. We all wish
for sukha (happiness, contentment, pleasure, comfort etc). When we
seek sukha in incompetent ways, what we get is duḥkha (unhappiness,
disappointment, displeasure, pain etc).

So what should be avoided, according to Dharmakīrti, is incompetent
thinking (akuśala-citta, ayoniśo manaskāra). Hence the importance
Dharmakīrti places on learning to free oneself from prejudices that
predispose one to make bad decisions about how to behave.

It looks as though what Katherine Masis skillfully said about Karen
Armstrong ("Karen Armstrong's words are right on target:  It doesn't
matter what you believe, but how you behave.") is also true of
Dharmakīrti. He places his entire energy not into trying to establish
which beliefs are true, but in showing how beliefs often take the form
of prejudices that impair the judgment of those who hold them and lead
them into counterproductive behavior and disappointment.

If what I have said here were the only thing Dharmakīrti had ever
said, then I would love him as dearly as I love Gotama Buddha and
Nāgārjuna and Stephen Batchelor. Unfortunately, he said a lot more.
Tant pis. Knowing when to stop saying is a gift from the gods. (They
never gave it to me.)

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico