[Buddha-l] Prominent Neobuddhist proposes religion based blacklisting for government jobs

S. A. Feite sfeite at roadrunner.com
Thu Jul 30 07:29:59 MDT 2009

On Jul 30, 2009, at 12:13 AM, Curt Steinmetz wrote:

> I wonder if you could please describe, in your own words, what you
> find
> so troubling about those slides, and how it rises to the level of
> justifying discrimination in hiring on the basis of a person's
> religious
> beliefs?

There is no scientific evidence of god, let alone that a god created
our universe, that god is behind the mechanism of evolution, that
part of god's special plan was "man", that this same god gifted us
with moral precepts (sorry Cecil B. Demille!), that breaking these
alleged moral laws upsets this god and estranges us from the god.

What he's espousing is a modified creationism, with god (presumably
IHVH, with Jesus as sidekick in this case) orchestrating the
previously out-of-fashion evolution. I would suspect we'll see
Quantum theory eventually thrown into the mix. Hey, the Vedic
creationists do it, why can't Jehovanists? Monotheism and Unified
field theories were <ahem> a match made in heaven!

If you want to imagine such non-scientific ideas, fine, I respect
your right to do so; but to have the head of the premier health-
research organization on the planet espousing non-scientific tribal
mythology is extremely disturbing, even if strangely American.

Of course I'd like to hear what Ramtha has to say about all this
before I say anything further. Is J.Z. Knight on this list?

Steve

Slide 1: “Almighty God, who is not limited in space or time, created a
universe 13.7 billion years ago with its parameters precisely tuned to
allow the development of complexity over long periods of time.”

Slide 2: “God’s plan included the mechanism of evolution to create the
marvelous diversity of living things on our planet. Most especially,
that creative plan included human beings.”

Slide 3: “After evolution had prepared a sufficiently advanced
‘house’ (the human brain), God gifted humanity with the knowledge of
good and evil (the moral law), with free will, and with an immortal
soul.”

Slide 4: “We humans used our free will to break the moral law, leading
to our estrangement from God. For Christians, Jesus is the solution to
that estrangement.”