[Buddha-l] Evil

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Jul 30 10:13:37 MDT 2009

"Why do we complain of Nature? She has shown herself kindly; life, if
you know how to use it, is long. But one man is possessed by an avarice
that is insatiable, another by a toilsome devotion to tasks that are
useless; one man is besotted with win, another is paralyzed by sloth;
one man is exhausted by an ambition that always hangs upon the decision
of others, another, driven on by the greed of the trader, is led all
over lands and all seas by the hope of gain; some are tormented by
passion for war and are always either bent on inflicting danger upon
others or concerned about their own; some there are who are worn out by
voluntary servitude in a thankless attendance upon the great; many are
kept busy either in the pursuit of other men's fortune or in complaining
of their own; many, following no fixed aim, shifting and inconstant and
dissatisfied, are plunged by their fickleness into plans that are ever
new; some have no fixed principle by which to direct their course, but
Fate takes them unawares while they loll and yawn -- so surely does it
happen that I cannot doubt the truth of that utterance which the
greatest of poets delivered with all the seeming of an oracle: 'The part
of life we really live is small.' For all the rest of existence is not
life, but merely time....

"And then certain men show the most senseless indignation - they
complain of the insolence of their superiors, because they were too busy
to see them when they wished an audience! But can anyone have the
hardihood to complain of the pride of another when he himself has no
time to attend to himself? After all, no matter who you are, the great
man does sometimes look toward you even if his face is insolent, he does
sometimes condescend to listen to your words, he permits you to appear
at his side; but you never deign to look upon yourself, to give ear to
yourself. There is no reason, therefore, to count anyone in debt for
such services, seeing that, when you performed them, you had no wish for
another's company, but could not endure your own."

Seneca, De Brevitate Vitae

Executive summary: don't blame the Buddha for your own failings or those
of others.

Curt