[Buddha-l] Prominent Neobuddhist proposes religion based blacklisting for government jobs

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Jul 30 15:44:28 MDT 2009

Curt and Richard,

Of course Curt's argument was an ad hominem attack, attempting to
undermine the credibility of Harris's pronouncements on Collins. Curt,
you simply need to admit this because there is *nothing wrong with
it*. Richard, I suggest that you are taking a standard designed to
evaluate logical arguments in the realm of philosophy (or, rather, to
*redirect attention to* evaluating logical arguments in the realm of
philosophy), and applying it to a complex problem in the realm of
science, public policy, and politics. It is no wonder that this
application of a philosophical trope, while provocative, is less than
useful in deciding whether Harris's critiques of Collins are germane
to or perhaps even convincing in the debate on whether Collins should
head the NIH.

It's a fun topic, but can I ask again what this might have to do with
Buddhism?

Franz
(in his attempt to piss *everyone* off)